Sure, 96 percent of people may recognize the Target Bullseye logo, but there’s a lot going on behind the Bullseye that many may be surprised to know.
For example, did you know that Target was ranked No. 25 on Fortune Magazine’s list of “Most Admired Companies” this year? As one of the top retailers today, Target invests in the careers and well-being of more than 365,000 team members worldwide, knowing that their diverse perspectives and talents enhance the company culture and surrounding communities. So, what else is there to know? Read on.
1. It’s not rocket science (or is it?): There are hundreds of exciting job titles and roles to fill at Target — from textile designers, pharmacists and architects to bankers, environmental sustainability consultants and librarians. Did you know that a member of the Product Design & Development team is a rocket scientist? He was heavily involved in launching the Missoni for Target collection in 2011.
2. There’s a network for that: Target has more than 90 networks that cater to specific team member interests, including the Bow Wows (a club for dog lovers) and The Spots (an acapella group).
3. Food for thought: Target has a test kitchen staffed by food scientists who test and develop foods for the Archer Farms and Market Pantry collections. What’s even better? The Target Test Kitchen hosts Cake Week five times per year, with more than 100 cake designs evaluated.
4. The gift of giving: Along with Target headquarters, every Target store, distribution center and regional office gives to their local communities through volunteerism and service — often coordinated by Community Captains — and localized grant giving through programs like Target’s Books for Schools Award, which allows Target’s local teams to give a $500 book award to the local school of their choice.
5. Wide open spaces: Each of Target’s regional distribution centers serves anywhere from 50 to 80 Target stores, can span 1.3 to 1.6 million square feet in size and consist of enough concrete to run a two-lane highway for 25 miles (whoa!).
6. A lesson from The Beatles: We “get by with a little help from our friends”! In 2011, shoppers helped Target collect and recycle more than 1,000 tons of plastic, glass and aluminum bottles and cans; more than 7,000 tons of shrink wrap and plastic bags; and more than seven million pounds of electronics.
7. Batters up: Target’s passion for design doesn’t stop at great clothes and couches. Target Commercial Interiors outfits hotels, sports stadiums, health care facilities and higher education buildings.
8. Crisis averted: Target maintains two Corporate Command Centers — hubs for any major crisis that uses tools such as news and weather monitoring, travel tracking and satellite imagery — based at headquarters in Minneapolis and Bangalore, India.
9. It takes two: Every Target store, distribution center and headquarters division has well-being captains that inspire team members to embrace a healthy lifestyle in fun and creative ways — from organizing competitions and celebrating success to sharing tools and resources to improve health and wellness.
10. World Wide Wonder: More than 3,000 members of the Target Technology Services team help build and run the IT infrastructure for Target stores along with Target.com, Target’s award-winning mobile apps, and Target’s headquarters locations, distribution facilities and data centers.