Is there a better way to celebrate a birthday than with cupcakes? Nope, we don’t think so either—especially ones with cotton candy.
In honor of the beloved author’s 109th birthday anniversary on March 2, our blogger-baker friend Courtney Whitmore shares her Dr. Seuss-inspired recipe for Truffula Tree Cupcakes. These tasty treats are just as cute and colorful as the trees made famous by his iconic 1971 children’s book, “The Lorax.”
Truffula Tree Cupcakes by Courtney Whitmore
Makes 24 Mini Cupcakes
What You’ll Need:
1 box Betty Crocker White Cake mix
1 stick butter, softened
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
10 drops green food coloring
1 package pretzel stick rods
1 package Fruit Roll-Ups
Colored cotton candy
What You’ll Do:
1. Bake white cupcakes in mini-muffin pan according to package instructions.
2. Beat butter for 1 minute and add powdered sugar in 1 cup intervals, beating thoroughly between each addition, until creamy. Add in vanilla and cream. Beat well for 2 minutes. Add in green food coloring until frosting is grass green.
3. Use a fluted pastry tip to pipe grass on top of cooled mini cupcakes.
4. Wrap Fruit Roll-Ups pieces around pretzel sticks. Place tufts of cotton candy on top of pretzel sticks using a bit of extra frosting to help stick the two together.
5. Stick the pretzel rod carefully into the center of the grass green cupcake. Enjoy
Recipe and photos by Courtney Whitmore
Don’t miss out on the latest Target news and behind-the-scenes happenings! Subscribe to our bi weekly newsletter and get the top stories from A Bullseye View delivered straight to your inbox.