Growing up in a Cuban household, “The Real Housewives of Miami” star Ana Quincoces discovered a passion for cooking at a young age. Whether she was helping out her mother in the kitchen or memorizing recipes, she was constantly thinking about food.
Ana’s approach to food is the same as her approach to life—fierce, fun and always with a special zest. In her second cookbook, “Sabor! A Passion for Cuban Cuisine,” the celeb chef shares her family’s mouthwatering recipes—all with a Cuban twist. Our personal favorite? Multigrain French toast with almonds, drizzled with light guava syrup.
“Brunch has become increasingly popular these days,” says Ana. “It’s a weekend ritual for my family, which is why I created a figure-friendly, healthier version of everyone’s favorite French toast! It’s easy and delicious.”
Try out her recipe on your next lazy morning at home with family or friends!
Multigrain French Toast with Almonds and Light Guava Maple Syrup
By Ana Quincoces
What You’ll Need:
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
12 thick slices of whole wheat or multigrain bread
3 tablespoons light butter (made from canola oil)
Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
1 cup of reduced sugar (light) maple syrup
¼ cup guava marmalade
What You’ll Do:
1. Place almonds in a small sauté pan over low heat. Tossing frequently, toast until lightly browned, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, flour, salt, baking powder, almond extract and vanilla extract. Soak bread slices in the mixture until saturated.
3. Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat. One at a time, press one side of soaked bread slices in the almonds to coat. Fry bread slices on both sides until golden brown. Dust with confectioners’ sugar before serving.
4. In a microwave-safe container, combine syrup and guava marmalade. Whisk until combined and warm.
5. Serve over French toast. Enjoy!