Pizza for breakfast? Such tomfoolery may have reserved a spot on Mom’s “no” list in years past, but she hasn’t tasted this berry delicious recipe by Giada De Laurentiis.
In honor of Mother’s Day, the Italian chef (and mom to daughter Jade) trades in tomato sauce, basil and mozzarella for mascarpone cheese, cinnamon sugar and mixed berries.
Bring Mom breakfast in bed on Sunday, and serve up this perfect pizza pie on a customized tray—check out our DIY Pinterest tutorial here.
Breakfast Pizza by Giada De Laurentiis
Makes 4 to 6 servings
What You’ll Need:
1 store-bought pizza dough
2 tablespoons butter, melted
4 tablespoons cinnamon sugar, divided (recipe follows)
2 cups mascarpone cheese
1 tablespoon heavy cream
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 cups mixed berries
For the cinnamon sugar:
1 vanilla bean
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
What You’ll Do:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. For the cinnamon sugar: cut the vanilla bean in half, lengthwise. Using the back of a knife, scrape along the inside of the vanilla bean to collect the seeds. Scrape vanilla bean seeds into a small bowl. Add sugar and cinnamon, and stir to combine. Set aside in a small serving bowl.
3. Using a rolling pin, roll out the pizza dough to a thickness of about 1/4 inch. Transfer the pizza dough to the lined baking sheet, and brush the dough with the melted butter. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar, and bake until golden brown, about 10 to 15 minutes. Cool the pizza crust on a wire rack.
4. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix together the cheese, cream, lemon juice and zest. Spread the cheese mixture over the cooled crust.
5. Top with mixed berries and sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon sugar. Slice like a pizza and serve.
Check out our step-by-step photo gallery below
Photos by Chris New
Don’t miss out on the latest Target news and behind-the-scenes happenings! Subscribe to our bi weekly newsletter and get the top stories from A Bullseye View delivered straight to your inbox.