In honor of Olympian Shaun White’s 27th birthday today, we’re sending some love (and links) out into the blogosphere. Below, we spotlight some fun facts you may not know about the Target athlete.
1. Shaun has been a Target Athlete for more than a decade. Loyalty, baby!
2. He’s a dog lover and proud owner of two French bulldogs, Steve and Rambo.
4. When Shaun’s brother Jesse was born, he was the biggest baby in the Hawaiian hospital so they named him after a famous Sumo wrestler.
5. Shaun first got into snowboarding at his worried mother’s request, who thought falling on snow would be safer than falling on pavement. Thanks, mom!
7. He first learned how to play the guitar while recovering from knee surgery in the hospital… so we guess it was a good thing he had to take a break!
8. Shaun cut off his famous hair for Locks of Love last year.
9. Maybe that’s because he isn’t a fan of his old nickname, The Flying Tomato.
10. Shaun may be a redhead, but he turned blue for his role as “Clueless Smurf” in the animated film “Smurfs 2.”
11. Shaun is a survivor! Before he was just one year old, he had two intense surgeries to correct a heart defect. Nothing can stop him.
12. Shaun loves Disney cartoons. Who doesn’t?
13. Speaking of Disney… He is an executive producer behind the upcoming Disney Channel Original Movie, “Cloud 9.”
14. Besides snowboarding and skateboarding, Shaun is an avid ping-pong player, and he rarely let’s anyone else win. Rumor has it he dominated other athletes while playing at the Target Chalet in 2007.
15. Shaun partnered with St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital to build a game room for teens at Target House.
16. Shaun is not afraid to wear pink… and we love that.
17. He’s also not afraid of short shorts. Like, really short. Bare all, Shaun!
18. After watching a young Shaun skate at his local park, skating legend Tony Hawk and he became friends.
19. Shaun learned to master mid-air body control jumping around on his backyard trampoline.
20. Shaun has a “Whole Lotta Love” for Led Zepplin, his favorite band.
21. In 2004, Shaun White released a snowboarding documentary called “The White Album.”
23. He is the proud owner of 10 ESPY Awards.
24. In 2012, Shaun became the first person to score a perfect 100 in the men’s Snowboard Superpipe in the history of Winter X Games.
25. Forget juicing! The night before a competition, he often eats a big steak. Get the man some protein!
26. Shaun is the first athlete to ever compete and medal in both the winter and summer X Games in two different sports.
27. If he qualifies, Shaun will be competing in his third Olympics this winter.